Scene: Today at Starbucks in the grocery store digging through my purse to find my wallet, debit card, put the pin in and answer the million questions it asks you while my children are actually behaving. Ok...I bribed them with the ipods. It works and I swear it's only for 5 minutes during check-out.
Stranger: Are they yours or did you adopt them? (Remember, they are standing RIGHT there.)
Me: (Hmm. Annoyed, but realize she means well just doesn't know how to say it...obviously.) I look up at her, making sure I heard her right and said, "They are MY children AND yes they are adopted."
Stranger: I have always wanted to do that but I think you got the cutest ones already.
Me: I soooo wanted to say, "Yeah, I took all the cute ones at the adoption store. Sorry. No more cute ones left." SERIOUSLY. I didn't, of course. I said, "I am so lucky to be their Mama. There are many children who need families." Now GIVE ME MY COFFEE! (I didn't say that but I was thinking it.)
Sometimes I am caught off guard with people's naive comments. The one that sticks out the most is the lady that once asked me, "Where did you get them?" (Again, wanted to say, "Oh, just down on aisle 12. They are on sale." just to see her reaction.) I didn't...of course.
I always try my best to be kind and try to understand they obviously don't know what they are saying, but sometimes it is sooo hard to stay nice.
I completely forget we stick out like a sore thumb when we are out and about and I know most people mean no harm, but some people are amazing. Seriously.
Think before you speak people.
ReDONKulous! People are crazy. I get all kinds of out there questions from strangers about the twins, their conception and my delivery. Freaky!
ReplyDeleteunreal. i would have much more 'tude than you!
ReplyDelete